Hepatitis and Homelessness in the USA

Hepatitis infections have spiked in the US recently. This is a potentially deadly infection that disproportionately impacts the homeless. One of the ways it can spread is from feces, a fancy way to say poop.

If you are homeless, you need to take care to protect yourself as best you can because an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Some suggestions:
  • Don't share germs with other homeless people. This means don't drink from the same cup or bottle, don't eat from the same plate, etc.
  • Carry hand sanitizer and spray peroxide. Use them liberally to clean up, especially after relieving your bladder or bowel outdoors.
  • Don't dig through trash cans or dumpsters to retrieve items for your personal use. Absolutely don't eat out of trash cans.
  • If you are collecting recyclables for cash, be mindful that this is a potential means to be exposed to germs. Take reasonable precautions of some sort.
I was homeless for 5.7 years. I was always very mindful of germ control on the street. I felt that improving my health was the only hope I had of improving my income and getting back to something resembling a conventional middle class life.

It very much concerns me that so many homeless people seem to pay so little attention to germ control. To my mind, this is a path to remaining long term homeless. If you are sick all the time and getting sicker with each passing day, you aren't going to be able to effectively solve your problems and get your life back.