Using The Internet To Help Get Your Life Back

When I was homeless, I spent a lot of time online. I was getting some of my social needs met that way, doing a lot of research to problem solve and also developing an online income. This helped me eventually get off the street.

Shortly after I got off the street, I wrote a post called A Virtual Life. Some college student soon found that and interviewed me by phone and wrote this piece: Homeless to housed: Her virtual life helped her out of homelessness.

Research places you might want to live.
You can look up the Wikipedia page, articles about the place, discussions online that mention it and any number of other things. Some good resources inlude Google Maps, Best Places and City-Data.
Job hunt or make money online.
Some resources I've put together that may help with making money online while homeless: Pocket Puter and Write Pay.
Deal with various other things relatively trivially.
Online banking was a godsend when I was homeless. The internet also allowed me to socialize some via various forums, never mind how long it had been since I had a shower.
Slowly shift your identity and situation.
Digital nomads, couch surfers and van dwellers blur the distinction between "normal" people and "the homeless." Accessing information aimed at such populations can help you start inhabiting an alternative lifestyle grey zone where you aren't simply cut off from society.