E-Gift Cards: Addendum

In my last post, I talked about what I know about e-gift cards and how they are pertinent to the needs of homeless people. I also talked about my current financial crisis due in part to my debit card dying on me, which inspired me to finally write about e-gift cards, something on my "to do" list for ages.

So today I got to try it out. I ended up some funds in my PayPal account and was able to purchase a Walmart e-gift card via PayPal gifts. I bought a $50 e-gift card and when I went to check out at self checkout, it required authorization.

After two failed attempts, they moved my purchases to a register with a cashier and tried again. It then required a supervisor's code.

It finally went through, only to show that my brand spanking new $50 gift card only had $42.97 on it.

Hello, PayPal gift cards department: You probably have a thief skimming from your e-gift cards.

I had nearly $49 worth of stuff on my tab and I was like "Crap. Let me put a few things back." and some kind stranger offered to cover the difference because they heard me talking about how my debit card is dead, so I can't access funds in my bank account and I didn't eat yesterday.

So I got everything I needed and was only shorted by a bit over a dollar. I decided to try buying another card this evening through Walmart.com in hopes of avoiding the same issues I had with this card.

I can find no means to use PayPal on Walmart.com, though I found an article that says you can and also set up a new Walmart account and downloaded their app. No dice.

So I ordered a second card with the remaining funds in my PayPal account via PayPal gifts again. I want to order it tonight because although I got the first one within just a few minutes, all the warnings say it can take several hours to get a card. I want to make sure I have access to it in the morning because we've all three been underfed for over a week, so we will likely want to eat early in the day and that means going shopping.

Now I am crossing my fingers and hoping this one actually is fully funded. And gets here soon.

Addendum to the addendum:

I did get my gift card. It was for the full value I had paid for. It took more than an hour to arrive, so I'm glad I ordered it the night before.

Both of the PayPal e-gift cards required approval at checkout. I've never needed approval for the Walmart gift cards I get every single month from Bing/Microsoft Rewards.

I don't know if that's the issuer or the amount. I think I got a ten dollar gift card once through Microsoft. They are usually five dollars. These e-gift cards were both substantially more than that.