Bread and Produce and More Thoughts

Two of the more useful resources I found while homeless let you get bread and fresh produce, either once a week or daily. One of them also provided a "snack pack" once a week, which contained a variety of things like a granola bar, fruit cup and similar.

Some programs gave out free bread ONLY and I stopped going to those. I quickly learned the hard way that the REASON "bread and water" was a form of torture historically is because it causes horrendous constipation if that's ALL you eat or even a HIGH percentage of what you eat.

So I made sure to find programs where I could get fresh produce of some sort with my bread and never went through that again.

In San Diego, there was a once a week meal served on the street by some church group and everyone called them The Vegans. They served a vegetarian meal on paper plates and ALSO let you get up to TWO brown paper bags with peanut butter sandwiches, granola bars and I think a piece of fruit.

I typically went alone and brought back the two brown paper bags for my kids because my kids weren't willing to eat the kind of ethnic vegetarian fare they served but were happy to get peanut butter sandwiches and granola bars. If things were really bad, one son went with me so we could get TWO brown paper bag lunches APIECE to have more food to go around.

I have a LOT of dietary restrictions and this weekly vegetarian meal with takeaway brown paper bag lunches was a huge help to us. It was the BEST free meal program in San Diego hands down.